Last Updated: September 26, 2021
Several sources will grant proficiencies in tools, gaming sets, and vehicles. Unlike skills, the number of options of these types is undefined, and varies between game settings. For example: some settings feature airships, and a corresponding vehicle proficiency, but in settings without airships characters aren’t able to select airship proficiency.
Tool proficiencies are proficiencies with a specific set of tools. These tools often cater to a specific profession, like Mason’s Tools for masons or Brewer’s Tools for brewers. Tool proficiencies most commonly come from a character’s Background, and because not all backgrounds grant tool proficiencies not all characters have tool proficiencies.
Some tools are described in the Player’s Handbook, and additional options are presented in Xanathar’s Guide to everything. The examples below are a selection of the tools intended to serve as examples of the breadth and variety of available options.
- Artisan’s Tools: A grab-bag for various tools less obviously useful for adventurers.
- Forger’s Kit: A set of tools specifically used for forging documents. It shares a lot with similar kits like the Calligraphy Kit.
- Healer’s Kit: Used to non-magically stabilize dying creatures.
- Herbalism Kit: Used to do things with herbs, but more importantly to craft Potions of Healing.
- Thieves’ Tools: Used for disabling traps and picking locks, rogues get Thieves’ Tools proficiency at 1st level.
Gaming set proficiencies cover proficiency with a single game, such as Three-Dragon Ante. Proficiency in a gaming kit allows you to add your proficiency bonus to ability checks to play that game.
Vehicle proficiencies are broad, generally covering the type of terrain over which they travel. For example: the Sailor brackground grants proficiency in Vehicle (Water), which covers boats and ships of all sizes. Characters can also gain proficiency in Vehicles (Land) to drive carts, wagons, and carriages. In settings where such vehicles exist, you might be able to gain proficiency in other sorts of vehicles like Vehicles (Air) for airships, or any number of other fantastic modes of transportation.