Last Updated: January 24, 2022
Character optimization, at its simplest, is the act of looking at two choices when building a character and choosing the option which will make your character more mechanically effective. The practice is a bit more nuanced, if only because the abundance of options makes weighing those choices challenging. The collection of articles below includes detailed guidance on building your ideal character from top to bottom.
A discussion of the current state of the character optimization meta, including changes introduced in Tasha’s Cauldron of Everything.
This article will be periodically updated as new source books are released and rules changes are introduced.
General guides to building and playing your class.
Sometimes you want to play a specific race. Knowing which options are available for that race can make playing that race more viable.
- Dunamancy Spell List Breakdown
- The Fundamental Math of Character Optimization
- The Healbot Olympics
- Melee Cantrips vs. Extra Attack
- Practical Guide to Grapple
- Practical Guide to Prestidigitation
- Practical Guide to Mounted Combat
- Practical Guide to Multiclassing
- Practical Guide to Polymorph
- Practical Guide to Shape Water
- Practical Guide to Summoning Spells
- Practical Guide to Wish
- Spellcasting Feats Breakdown
Beyond the Pale
I typically don’t cover content beyond the official sourcebooks. However, I occasionally make exceptions when numerous people make requests that I cover the same content. This may include Unearthed Arcana content or non-official content published during official events (like One Grung Above), and 3rd-party content.