About - RPGBOT FAQ
Last Updated: November 29th, 2019
This is a repository of general questions regarding RPGBOT as a site and as a service. If you have any questions which aren't answered by this page, please email me and I'll do my best to help.
Can I look at or copy your code?
Can I send you money/gifts?
If you feel compelled to support the site monetarily, I encourage you to support me on Patreon.
I don't typically accept other gifts from strangers on the internet. If you feel truly compelled to do something nice for me, just sending me an email telling me that you like the site is incredibly meaningful to me. I read every email I recieve from readers (and I try to respond to all of them).
Do you make money through this website?
Yes. As of March 2019, I began running ads on the site, and I'm making money from those ads, from affiliate links on the site, and from Patreon. I'm experimenting with direct ad placement, but I don't know if that will be a long-term thing yet.
How can I contact you regarding legal issues regarding RPGBOT and the content which it uses/references
I'm sorry if you feel like your rights have been violated in any way. All of the content on this site was created because I enjoy your product(s) and I want other people to enjoy them as much as I do (and ideally buy more of them so that you can continue making them). If you feel like I have done something wrong, please email me so we can discuss what I can do to make things right.
How do I send you comments/complaints/suggestions?
Please email me. I love feedback!
What are affiliate links and why do you use them?
In a few places throughout the website, you may encounter affiliate links to Dungeon Master's Guild. Pages with these links will be accompanied by a disclaimer that looks like this:
Affiliate Link Disclaimer: Some of the links below are "affiliate links" to Dungeon Master's Guild. If you click on an affiliate and purchase a product from DM's Guild any time in the next 15 days, even if it is not the product you clicked on, I will receive 5% of the purchase price. To learn more about affiliate links on RPGBOT.net, please see the RPGBOT FAQ.
This 5% is taken from DM's Guild's 50% of the purchase price, so if I am the author of the product I will receive a total of 55% of the sale price. If I am not the author, the author of the product still receives their full 50% of the purchase price. This disclaimer is provided to comply with the FTC's rules for Affiliate and Network Marketing.
I use these links to generate revenue. The content on this site is provided for free, and the links are primarily used to help you find products which I dicuss in my articles such as D&D 3.5 sourcebooks which are out of print or to provide links to my own products on DM's Guild. I intend to keep these links as unobtrusive as possible so that they do not distract from the content of the site.
I've recently begun experimenting with sponsored links. The basic idea of sponsored links is that someone asks me to advertise a specific product or service on RPGBOT, and in exchange for doing so I usually get some quantity of money.
I am very picky about who I choose to do business with. I research everyone I work with directly. I don't work with bad people, and I won't advertise products which I wouldn't use myself.
If you have questions about sponsored links (maybe you want to advertise on the site or maybe you have an issue with something I'm advertising, please email me.
Who are you?
My name is Tyler Kamstra. I'm a software developer from Seattle. I like tabletop roleplaying games and writing code. I like other stuff, too, but none of those things have to do with this website.
Why are there so few images on your site?
Because more wouldn't make the site better, but they would make the site take longer to load. I want people to be able to open my site quickly on their phones during a game without scrolling past pointless art to find the content that they want.
Why is there so little content for my favorite system?
It's possible that I just recently started writing for that system, or it's possible that I just don't have all that much to say for that system. If you really want me to write something specific, email me and I'll try to find the time.
Will you write stuff for my favorite system?
Maybe. I mostly write stuff for systems which I am currently playing (I think you can guess how much DnD and Pathfinder I play) because I am actively using what I write. As I gradually run out of ideas for a specific system, I may switch to new systems and begin writing for them.
If you have a specific system for which you would like me to write, email me and I'll consider it. I can't cover every system out there, but if there is enough interest in something I may be convinced to look into it.