In this remastered episode of the RPGBOT.podcast, we discuss metacurrencies in tabletop RPGs, including things like DnD 5e’s Inspiration, Pathfinder 2e’s Hero Points, Savage World’s Bennies, and Fantasy Flight’s Star Wars RPG’s Destiny Points. We discuss how they work and how to use them as a tool to assist storytelling in your game, as well as some possible variant rules to make DnD 5e’s Inspiration both more interesting and more impactful.
MATERIALS REFERENCED IN THIS EPISODE
- DnD 3.5’s Action Points, which are detailed in the 3rd edition source book Unearthed Arcana (affiliate link), available as a PDF on DMsGuild.com and available for free on d20srd.org
- DnD 5e’s Inspiration rules, which are available in the Basic Rules for free both as a PDF and on DnDbeyond.com
- DnD 5e’s Dungeon Masters Guide (affiliate link), which expands upon the core Inspiration rules on pages 240-241
- Pathfinder 2e’s Core Rulebook (affiliate link), which details Hero Points on pages 29, 467, and 507. The same rules are available for free on the Archives of Nethys.
- Fantasy Flight’s Star Wars RPG’s Destiny Points, which is detailed in all three of core rulebooks, including pages 23 and 315 of Edge of the Empire (affiliate link).
- Savage Worlds Adventure Edition (affiliate link), also available as a PDF via DriveThruRPG (affiliate link)
Originally Published September 1, 2021
If you love the show, consider joining us on Patreon, where backers at the $5 and above tiers get ad free access to RPGBOT.net and the RPGBOT.Podcast, direct access to the RPGBOT.Team on the RPGBOT.Discord, and can join us every week for live-streamed recordings.
Support us on Amazon.com when you purchase products recommended in the show at the following link: https://amzn.to/3NwElxQ
How to Find Us:
In-depth articles, guides, handbooks, reviews, news on Tabletop Role Playing at RPGBOT.net