We got 7 new spells in Fizban’s Treasury of Dragons, and they’ve now been added to my spell list breakdowns.
The New Spells
Some quick general impressions:
- Ashardalon’s Stride – I love this spell for gish builds. Guaranteed damage (though not very much of it), and Opportunity Attacks are off the table. Combine this with Booming Blade and hit-and-run tactics have never been easier, plus you can run past every enemy in an encounter every round to quickly deal a bunch of damage.
- Draconic Transformation – Blindsight, flight, and as much damage as fireball every turn as a Bonus Action so you can still cast other spells as an Action. The action economy here is amazing.
- Fizban’s Platinum Shield – Quick, easy protection against things like breath weapons. The spell level for this is really high, but it is really good.
- Nathair’s Mischief – Really fun, but not very effective.
- Raulothim’s Psychic Lance – Incapacitate the target for one round on an Int save, and you can use it without line of sight against named enemies. Great for eating through Legendary Resistances. The damage is weak, but that’s not what the spell is for.
- Rime’s Binding Ice – Cool concept, great effect, but the Con save and poor damage make it hard to justify.
- Summon Draconic Spirit – Very durable and versatile, but offensively weak. Good for sorcerers because you can do so much with one summon, but druids and wizards may prefer to bring multiple summon spells.
- https://rpgbot.net/dnd5/characters/classes/artificer/spells/ – Ashardalon’s Stride
- https://rpgbot.net/dnd5/characters/classes/bard/spells/ – Nathair’s Mischief, Raulothim’s Psychic Lance
- https://rpgbot.net/dnd5/characters/classes/druid/spells/ – Draconic Transformation, Summon Draconic Spirit
- https://rpgbot.net/dnd5/characters/classes/fighter/spells/ – Ashardalon’s Stride
- https://rpgbot.net/dnd5/characters/classes/ranger/spells/ – Ashardalon’s Stride
- https://rpgbot.net/dnd5/characters/classes/sorcerer/spells/ – All 7 new spells
- https://rpgbot.net/dnd5/characters/classes/warlock/spells/ – Raulothim’s Psychic Lance
- https://rpgbot.net/dnd5/characters/classes/wizard/spells/ – All 7 new spells
Hey, RPGBOT, Raulothim’s Psychic Lance seems to be missing from the Bard List, despite being listed here (I don’t know if it’s actually on the spell list or not).
Oops! Thanks for spotting that. It should be fixed now.
I think there is a mistake on the wizard’s spell list as you placed “Fizban’s Platinum Shield” among the 5th level spells when it is actually a 6th level spell.
Thanks for spotting that. It should be fixed now.
Also, about mounting the dragon from Summon Draconic Spirit, even though it is an “intelligent mount” isn’t this made irrelevant by the fact that you can control it as a freely (as per the wording of the spell)? If you’re mounting it and want to go melee, you just give it verbal commands to stay in melee during it’s turn.
Good question. The issue is timing. If your turn is before your mounts, you’ll frequently find that your mount moves into melee, then the enemy moves out of reach (or dies, or is forcibly moved, etc.) before it’s your turn again. That’s why it’s so important for your mount to take its turn as the same time as you, as an unintelligent mount does.